Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

When The Queen is Unhappy, Nobody's Happy!

With the exception of the pig yard, 

and part of the sheep yard, 

most all of the animal habitats finally have ground showing.  Despite the frigid temperatures so far this week, the snow is slowly disappearing. 

Hopefully, in another week or so, the pigs will have the ability to navigate their way out to the front pasture once again.  Other than trips to the treat box to shamelessly beg for graham crackers, the pigs have been living a rather boring life.  If nothing else, they will emerge from winter well-rested!

We started our day at 7 degrees yesterday.  The front pasture, though frozen and barren was a welcomed field trip for the equines.  

I put their morning hay there for them, and once finished, they spent the rest of the morning wandering around looking for edible grass (of which there is precious little at this time of year.)

Upon returning to the dry lot at noon, they settled in for a nap in the sun.  By that time, the temperature had risen to 32 degrees.

We finally swapped out our diesel gator for our electric one once again.  The diesel gator is a necessity when there is snow and ice on the ground.  The trade-off comes in fumes and noise.  The electric gator is clean and quiet and runs off of our solar power, but sadly doesn't not have the "oomph" to get through the snow.

As I finished up the last bits of morning chores, Jack hopped on the tractor

 and turned the manure piles.  Turning the compost pile rejuvenates it and helps to raise the temperature back to the necessary level for breaking down the manure.

That chore must be saved for either dry ground or frozen ground, or the tractor gets stuck.  By the end of the week, we will have mostly muddy ground.

Every afternoon, I peek my head up into the hay loft and this is what I see...

Half-cat Pat has made a winter home in the barn with his very own bed!

  He/she is still too shy to interact with us, and upon seeing me always seeks a hiding place behind the hay bales.  Most likely, with summer's arrival, he/she will just visit on occasion for a square meal.  I'm glad that HCP has a warm, safe spot for wintering.... even if he/she doesn't stay.

Here's what is currently on the needles....

I am loving the colors in this variegated merino wool!

As I sit here writing, Ivy is beside me.  She's been a very grumpy cat today.  This morning she sat in the middle of the kitchen floor yelling for her "milky time".  She enjoys a tablespoon of buttermilk every morning when the dogs get their "vit-e-yums" - a hard boiled egg split between them.

This morning she yelled particularly loud and then swatted me as I walked past her.  She also jumped on Chester (who couldn't care less) as he walked by.  On top of that, she refused her treat.  Of course, Chester was happy to finish it for her.

She yelled at me as I took my shower this morning.  And now that I am sitting here with my fingers dancing across the keys, she keeps batting her tail against the wall in the way cats do when they are mildly irritated, growling at me, and every few minutes grabbing my fingers in her mouth.  I had a discussion with her, reminding her that I allow her to sleep next to me at night and that could change if she keeps up the abuse.  She quickly corrected me, saying that she actually allows me to sleep beside her!

She's definitely the Queen of the house, and today, the Queen is just not happy with us peasants!!

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar